The elections to the 19th German Bundestag will take place on 24 September 2017.
Germans who reside outside the Federal Republic of Germany and no longer have a domicile within the federal territory may be eligible to vote in the election.
In addition to fulfilling the electoral requirements applicable to all voters, you must
1. either, within the last 25 years and after attaining the age of 14, have lived without interruption in the Federal Republic of Germany *) for at least three months or otherwise have had your habitual residence there,
or for other reasons have acquired a personal and direct familiarity with the political conditions in the Federal Republic of Germany and be affected by them; and
2. be registered on an electoral roll in the Federal Republic of Germany. Registration is possible only upon application. The application must be made on an official form and should be submitted soon after publication of this notice. Applications not received by the competent municipal authority by 3 September 2017 cannot be accepted (section 18 (1) of the Federal Electoral Code).
Application forms and information sheets may be obtained online at www.bundeswahlleiter.de.
They may also be obtained from
- the diplomatic missions and career consular posts of the Federal Republic of Germany,
- the Bundeswahlleiter (Federal Returning Officer) at the following address: Statistisches Bundesamt, Zweigstelle Bonn, Postfach 17 03 77, 53029 BONN, GERMANY, or by email using the contact form on the Federal Returning Officer’s website,
- district returning officers in the Federal Republic of Germany.
Further information is available in German only on the website www.konsularinfo.diplo.
* A previous domicile or residence in the area stipulated in Article 3 of the Unification Treaty (Brandenburg, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia, as well as the territory of the former Berlin (East)) will also be taken into account).